BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 21, 2008

decisions...decisions...

My hubby is self employed. He installs flooring. (carpet, laminate, & vinyl) While this job pays pretty decent, with any self employment there are pros and cons.
I am not going to go into the great detail of those pros & cons, but I will say that installing carpet takes a toll on your body. Most installs have to have knee surgery(ies), retire early from this "career" into another job, etc. (some even end up in wheel chairs)

Since we have been together (six years) he has wanted out of carpet/flooring. But, since the pay is so good he has stayed. His job allows me the luxury to stay home with CJ and for that I am so very thankful.

We recently found out about a possible job opportunity that may be suitable for PJ. We know the people who are hiring, etc. He is not overly qualified, but is not under-qualified either. (there is some clerical work and he has never worked in an office setting before, but knows most of the programs and can type)
This job would offer a stable schedule (most likely four days a week 9-5) Extreme flexibility, benefits IMMEDIATELY, vacation, salary, etc.
The ONE drawback for us is that it would be a HUGE pay cut. We are talking almost half of what he makes now. We are trying to decide if we can "afford" this cut.
I am not one that is into money. I always say, "money does not buy happiness" and I believe that. BUT, we have a mortgage, two car payments, (one is almost paid off), medical bills, ins., etc. I really do not know if we CAN afford to take the cut.

We are praying about this decision and know that the Lord will lead us where we need to be. (remember we are about to put our house on the market and rent while looking for land to build, this would drastically cut back our mortgage/rent pymt) Plus any day now my Dad's estate should be settled and I will receive a portion of it, which could pay off the two car loans or help us out otherwise financially. So money wise, we may be ok in the grand scheme of things. But this position they are wanting to fill ASAP. So time is of the essence.
UGH...I HATE making decisions.
Please say a prayer for us that we make the right decision and that the Lord leads us where we need to be.

THANKS Ladies!!!

7 ?'s, comments or concerns:

Nancy Hood said...

for what it's worth :) I believe in jumping in with both feet and looking out for what God brings to the surface :) with His children and knowing He is in control, you can't go wrong. If this job just happened to come your way, think about why :) maybe it's a nudge in that direction.

Lisa said...

I wish I could give you a clear cut answer as to what would be the best route for you, but I can honestly say that we took a HUGE cut when I quit work to stay home with Cameron. Everyday is a struggle and we literally live paycheck to paycheck with my husbands pay and sometimes we can't even do that. I have been thinking about going back to work part-time to take pressure of my hubby, but once again there are pros and cons. I will keep you in my prayers that you will make the right decision for your family. Follow your heart!! God will help you along.

Hugs,
Lisa

He & Me + 3 said...

If money gets tight, he could always do side jobs right? You both sound like you have discussed this well and are really thinking things through. God will bless your decision either way. Just remain faithful to Him first. I will keep you in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I know that laying floor IS brutal on hubbys body. I say GO FOR the other job and trust God to provide. He will never leave you nor fosake you. I have to remind myself often that the Bible says all we REALLY NEED is food and shelter, all the rest is "extra" and God will provide for our needs! Hope this helps :)

Us said...

Oh decisions..I hate them! Keep praying and God will lead you! But IMO, it sounds like an awesome opportunity for him to leave the carpet business and there's lots of benefits included...I say take the leap! I will pray that the right decision is made for your family. xo Keli

McCrakensx4 said...

I'm with MiMi...God will lead you if you are faithful (and it sounds as though you are). Having blind faith is the hardest, but He already knows. Praying for you in your decision making.

Kelly said...

I really don't like JOB decisions!! WE will be praying for you!!