BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 22, 2009

Tomorrow is the day

Please keep Collin covered in prayer today.
As most of you already know he is scheduled for brain surgery @ 10:10am @ our Children’s Hospital.

 

Misc Collin May 2009 010

A quick recap incase you are new to my blog or have not read about Collin’s past medical condition.

Misc Collin May 2009 002

August 2006-
has a partial seizure
goes through a series of tests (eeg, ct scan, MRI) where we find the right ventricle is larger than the left. The neurosurgeon does not seem to be to concerned at that time bc Collin is growing and thriving as most boys his age. We all decide to keep an eye on the ventricle by routine MRI’s.

2007 & 2008
Numerous MRI’s all show no change and things are “ok”.

April 12, 2009
while getting ready for Church Easter morning, we notice Collin is not responding and most likely having his 2nd seizure, the first one in almost 3 yrs. We take him to our local hospital where he is treated and then sent to Children’s. We are again scheduled for more tests and to see the neurologist.
April 27, 2009
Collin goes for his EEG…all is normal on it
April 28, 2009
Collin wakes up vomiting and goes into another seizure. We are taken by squad to the hospital and after being checked out we are given an anti-seizure medicine to start him on.
The following week we see the neurologist and she refers us to the neurosurgeon.
June 1, 2009
We go for Collin’s MRI and to see the neurosurgeon. The MRI now shows that the ventricle is not only larger, but that it is pushing “things” out of its way making it harder for the spinal fluid to drain properly. We are given three choices…
1. do nothing & wait
2. have a shunt put in to drain the fluid
3. have the surgeon go in with a camera to see what exactly  is going on and then proceed to realign a pathway for the spinal fluid to drain, thus relieving the pressure on Collin’s brain and therefore (most likely) stopping the seizures allowing Collin to stop taking the seizure medicine.  The neurosurgeon sends us home to do our own research, get a 2nd opinion,  PRAY and come back with a decision.
We did just that and went back with the decision to go with option 3. It seems the best one for Collin. With the best long term results.

This surgery is pretty quick, about an hour and will leave us in the hospital for 1-2 days. Once home Collin will be on restriction from outdoor play or climbing, but other than that can go back to life as he knows it.
Misc Collin May 2009 043
THANK YOU for all of your thoughts and prayers. I will update when I am able to.

8 ?'s, comments or concerns:

Jill said...

Oh Kelly! I didn't think I had been away from checking blogs that long! I will definately say a prayer for you guys. Will you be in Columbus at Children's?

He And Me + 3 said...

Kelly,
I will be praying for collin.

Nancy said...

I will be in prayer, dear one, and know I also am sending tight hugs for you and your man ~ the angels will be near :) keep us posted as you're able.
love,
Nancy

blessedmomto7 said...

Praying for you and your boy all day!

Jill said...

Please let me know if you need anything! We don't live that far!
Hugs, Jill

McCrakensx4 said...

Have been following you on FB as well. Hoping and praying all went well today. Please keep us updated!

Kelly said...

Praying with you! Pls. keep us updated the best you can!

Katie said...

Kelly, thank you for thinking of and praying for me in the hospital and as I came hom! Blog friends amaze me.

I did not know this about Collin. I am praying and waiting to hear how his surgery went!